Healthy Eating

Oct 31, 2005

A Jolt of Java May Ward Off Parkinson's

COFFEE LOVERS FIND SOME ADVANTAGES
If you need at least one cup of coffee to jump-start your day, you may be protecting yourself from Parkinson’s disease.
Exciting new research has found that people who drink coffee may be less likely to develop the disease. Although my beverage of choice is tea (one or two cups a day), some advantages are possible, from drinking at least one cup of coffee a day. Some of my research indicated that the caffeine was helpful to the lungs and now I find that a study of more than 8,000 men over 30 revealed other interesting information. Researchers found that men who didn’t drink coffee were three to six times more likely to develop Parkinson’s disease than coffee-drinkers.
Caffeine is not friendly to my nervous system nor my digestive system. I found that whenever I drank coffee more than one cup of coffee, I developed acid indigestion. But you don’t have to be a coffee-lover to take advantage of the beneficial effect. The study found the same results, regardless of the source. As you may know, caffeine is found in chocolate and tea as well as numerous other sources.
Researchers can’t be sure it’s the caffeine that’s responsible for the protective effect. It may be some other aspect of the coffee-drinking personality type. Nevertheless, the discovery of a positive protective factor may spark more studies that will someday lead to a cure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home