Healthy Eating

Nov 24, 2007

Arthritis Pain and Natural Combatants

Sometimes I think we experience difficulties so that we can learn lessons that help others. It provides us with first-hand knowledge of what it feels like so that we can share and understand more. Many of those who treat us as physicians don’t have a clue and there are times when I wish they could have a special instrument of transference to allow them a moment to really know what we can’t describe.
With more than a quarter of a century of experience, I have learned much and even managed to accept and stave off the damaging effects of RA. At a moment in time, I even realized that there was no cure and that no pill existed that would cure the disease - only mask the pain - and cause even more serious consequences. In 20 of those years I played along side many whom may have thought that I was a hypochondriac or just imagining the condition. However, doctors were stern in predicting the outcome of doing nothing and said, "Mr. Kent you have only 1 - 3 years before the crippling effects of rheumatoid arthritis will place you permanently in a wheelchair." I didn’t take their advice, but I did do something about it. The challenge was mine and I wanted to prove that I could live as productive a life as possible through exercise, healthy eating, good friends and love. In December of 1981, the sentence seemed harsh, but God had good reason to present me with this opportunity to learn, while experiencing the severe pain. I looked at my body and wondered how crippling could possibly rob me of all the muscle I had developed throughout my life. Having lived in the era of "Charles Atlas", I used dynamic tension and lifted weights in my college years with reps and charts and recorded my progress. The muscles were not developed with the use of any steroids and so they were not gigantic and I did not display my physique in competition. I just wanted the best possible body to take me through a life of activity and participation in sports of all kinds.
Badminton players were awarded "Presidential Sports Awards" in numbers never known in the State of New York. In Washington, D.C., they had recorded only 2 winners the year I started documenting those who joined me in the venture to increase that number in New York. Julie participated, with the late Evan Christopher and a young man who considered me like a father, Chris Boswell (photographer and a member of the 914th reservists). I filled out all the forms, dates, times and activities and we did it. We won 12 awards in our club alone and that gave us the privilege and honor of wearing the special apparel assigned to those who had proven their worth. That’s just an aside to this article - but it tells you something about the determination it takes to defeat the agonizing attack one feels taking on "Arthur."
Research was always my first love because it helped those who surrounded me - in all the lives I have lived these past 7 decades. Truth is stranger than fiction. Julie tells me I would have to be 150 years old to have accomplished all that I did in so many fields. The fact is, I have a condition known as "hyper-kinetic syndrome" and I feel blessed to have it. Working three jobs at a time was exciting when one has an insatiable appetite for so many things. I lied about my first love - it’s really "People," as Barbra Streisand sang so beautifully. People have always been so kind and thoughtful, appreciative and helpful and I've been so fortunate to know so many of the great ones.
So what did I learn about arthritis - especially the rheumatoid, and including the many other related autoimmune diseases - causing inflammation and the body’s attack on itself as a foreign substance?
All research led to only one source of relief - Willow Bark. As many of you must know, that is where aspirin comes from. For these past 26 years I have taken 3 aspirin every 6 hours (325mg each). In 1983, only 2 years after I began my regimen, the medical community knew the benefits of this miracle pill. If it were not a natural substance - it would have cost a fortune to purchase - but as luck would have it you can buy 500 - 325mg ultra-thin coated aspirin for only $3.50 at WalMart (Equate Brand). The doctors were always presented with my computerized and documented regimen and never once challenged my approach to the problem. The nurse would simply ask, "Are you having any stomach problems Mr. Kent?" I replied with a low and humble "negative."
Then I learned that the Congress, the FDA and the Pharmaceuticals were working to keep this information from the public and disallowing any claims as to the effectiveness of aspirin in their advertisements, labels and promotional materials. In 1988, they referred to it as the "Freedom of Speech" aspirin and in 1998 the truth came out. Aspirin helps to prevent many of the cancerous tumors and especially colon cancer (the incidence is high in my family-including my own mother and Godmother-Aunt).
So you see, there is good reason for my provocative way regarding the way I speak out for a better healthcare system. After more than 4 years of being an advocate for inclusive approaches to healthcare and the need for "Universal-Single-Payer Healthcare" the doctors are finally leaning in my direction -- but only after the global ranking of the U.S. fell from 25th to 29th and now to 45th in longevity. Like the great wall of China, we can not shut out the intelligence of the rest of the world. We have four times the incidence of Alzheimer’s Disease than India, and India has four times the population of the U.S. We are fast-becoming a third-world country in health, education and welfare and a first-rate nation in warfare. There’s a lesson Americans need to learn if we are not to go the way of the Roman Empire.
I spend my own money to purchase research from all over the world and not one penny of it comes from donations or earnings of any sort. All my efforts are not for profit - merely an altruist trying to fill the need for making the world a little better.
And now the real purpose of this article--sharing the fact that there are natural ways to combat the effects of inflammation and pain without Celebrex, Vioxx and Ibuprofen. They’re safe, inexpensive and can dramatically curb your symptoms - I am a living proof of that:
1. Drink Tea. Research shows that green tea is rich in polyphenols—compounds that suppress the expression of a key gene involved in arthritis inflammation. Black tea is made from the same leaves and may be as beneficial, even though it is processed differently. Drink one or two cups of hot tea daily. I drink both green and black tea and have done so for most of my life.
My mother brought me hot tea with lemon and honey and as I got older - she added that extra touch of brandy. The English refer to this as a hot toddy. Julie’s mother is 93 and enjoyed her Thanksgiving dinner with "a spot of tea." "I always love tea." she responded when I asked her if she was ready for her tea.
2. Boost Your C and D. Vitamin C is believed to slow the loss of cartilage due to osteoarthritis, while a diet low in vitamin D has been shown to actually speed the progression of osteoarthritis. In a recent high-profile study, doctors discovered that patients who ate a diet high in vitamin D (or who took vitamin D supplements) reduced their risk for worsening their arthritis by 75%. Another study of over 25,000 people concluded that a low intake of vitamin C may increase the risk of developing arthritis. You should get 500 - 1000 mg of vitamin C, and 400 IUs of vitamin D. Of course, my preference is in purchasing an 8 lb. bag of beautiful-baseball-sized navel oranges and slicing them into crescents. Natural lemons are with me at all times and go with room-temperature purified water. Vitamin D from the sun is said to reduce the incidence of cancer by 50%. The problem is that most doctors will not share this time-consuming information with you - but mine do - because they know that I know. They compliment me for the documented research. Most of what you hear on medications is based on anecdotal responses in percentages that barely reach a majority and are purely subjective.
3. Try Willow Bark/Boswellia. Willow bark is where aspirin comes from and Boswellia has been used for centuries to reduce inflammation. My first contact with Boswellia was from a very intelligent member of my STL (Joann), who told me of the benefits of a boswellin cream she applied to her joints - purchased at Eastern Hills Mall for about $10. Today it is recognized as one of the ingredients most effective in combating the pain. Turmeric, glucosamine, vitamin C and methyl salicylate are others to look for in any topical ointment. I have been in touch with the manufacturers and their suppliers and even questioned about the efficacy of these ointments in helping me deal with my condition. Those of you who have been with me know this. Just recently, an 89-year-old asked me about how she could deal with her pain and I simply told her what I use. She came back to me, exclaiming, "My arthritis is cured." Not true, of course, she just doesn’t feel the pain.
A cure has not been found and won’t until we can shut off the genetic codes in our DNA. The RA factor is identifiable and usually switched-on by stress. A study showed that taking these 2 herbs is just as effective as taking a drug like Motrin. Suggestions in the article in "Bottom Line," include taking 240 mg of willow bark and 1,000 mg of Boswellia per day. Boswellin extract is what you will see on the label of "Joint Cream" and before that "Mobility Cream."
The name changed and the price has gone up because the demand is higher. Topical approaches are becoming more popular because they do not have so far to travel and are less troublesome to the digestive process. I use both approaches.
4. Eat Grapes. Grape skin contains resveratrol, a natural compound known to act as a COX-2 inhibitor. Resveratrol both suppresses the COX-2 gene and deactivates the COX-2 enzyme, which produces inflammation at the site of injury or pain. A study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry confirmed that resveratrol acts as an antioxidant and a COX-2 inhibitor. Eat one cup of white or red grapes daily. Purple grape juice and wine contain resveratrol too. I eat the seedless variety of grapes because I am allergic to wine and I watched gramps make the wine with large bags of sugar. My first experience with wine, at the age of 5, was a disaster and so I don’t drink wine, nor have I ever had a full glass of beer in my life. My doctors tell me that I am allergic to anything that ferments - a blessing since alcoholism killed two of my uncles.
5. Therapeutic Taping. Some years ago, I suffered "heel-spur" pain and one of our badminton players is a podiatrist. He taped my foot and explained the problem. After that I bought the best-arch-support sneakers available and never had the problem reoccur. Wrapping the tape around a joint to realign, support and take pressure off it has great benefits for arthritis sufferers.
In an Australian study, 73% of patients with osteoarthritis experienced substantially reduced symptoms after just 3 weeks of therapeutic taping. My taping accomplished the desired result within 1 week and I purchased customized sneakers at Dave’s Shoe Ship on Evans St. in Williamsville. The benefits were comparable with those achieved by standard drug treatments and lasted even after the taping was stopped! I knew many who gave up tennis and badminton because the pain was so severe they couldn’t walk on the bottoms of their feet. Important: Taping must be done properly to be effective. Consult a physician (I recommend a Podiatrist) or physical therapist who can show you or a family member the proper technique.
I am not a doctor, nor a certified nutritionist, but I am a researcher with a passion for finding a better way and making suggestions based on the best research available. Many of my friends are doctors, who agree with me and many of them now include this approach in a new form of medicine called, "Integrative Medicine" They are on-line and explain how they could no longer restrict their practice to filling prescriptions and performing surgical procedures after the damage was done.
My doctor once told me, "Mr. Kent, there will be many who will want to operate on you. The only time you should be operated on is "code blue!" I followed that advice and all this is just gravy-time to me. Seven decades for a guy who had a heart attack, while teaching at the age of 31 is better than any doctor would or could have predicted. I choose to give all I have to benefit those who choose to live and love the "Golden Years."
Note: The Sunday - Buffalo News NATIONAL NEWS headline: Study says boomers are unhealthier than parents by Rob Stein of the Washington Post and dated Sunday, April 22, 2007. Can you guess or reason why?
"This all could add up to a huge crisis and really calls for us to examine the things that perhaps we're not doing so well." Lisa Berman, Harvard School of Public Health, on unhealthy baby boomers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home