Healthy Eating

Dec 3, 2005

Eating Healthy All Day Long

We started the day with cooked rolled oats or oatmeal and, in England, porridge. The oatmeal was prepared in a batch using 4 parts water and 2 parts oatmeal. In the last minute, I added one diced gala or empire apple. As I shut off the heat, I sprinkled cinnamon over the mixture, and stirred it in very-well. Then I covered it and let it stand until all the ingredients were well absorbed. About an hour later, I placed them in a sealed glass (1 1/2 quart)container.
In the morning , I scooped-out about 1-cup of gelled oatmeal and reheated it in the microwave for approximately 2 minutes. Then I added a ½ teaspoon of Omega style margarine and mixed in 6 frozen cherries and three tablespoons of frozen blueberries, a smidgeon of 1 percent milk and a little honey. That’s it, unless you want to warm it up a little to help defrost the frozen ingredients. I like it warm and so I place the mixture back in the microwave for about 40 seconds. I stir it well and enjoy a very filling and nutritious breakfast cereal. Mom would say it would "stick to your ribs." It does hold you over quite a while. I am 6' 2" and over 200 lbs., but after my oatmeal, I'm not hungry until about 2 or 3 p.m..
For lunch, I roasted some chicken breast in a 375 degree oven for about 1 ½ hours. While that was in the oven, I prepared steamed broccoli and a left over baked potato. I mixed an organic baby lettuce salad, which contains organic baby lettuce (red and green oak leaf, lollo rosa, red and green Romaine, Tango). This is a delicious blend of gourmet greens and makes a delightful and nutritious salad. I tossed the salad with extra-virgin olive oil, one clove of crushed garlic, finely sliced red onion, and the Italian black balsamic vinegar. Then I sprinkled in some grated Pecorino Romano cheese made from pasteurized sheep’s milk, culture, enzymes, and salt. I use this 100 percent grated pecorino Romano cheese in my soups, salads, and with bow tie pasta and find it is an excellent substitute for salt and an excellent source of calcium. It is low in fat (6%) and has only 4 % sodium. We enjoyed the salad. I chose to cut up the ½ baked potato and add it to my salad. The broccoli was sprayed with a non-cholesterol margarine. The chicken breast was ready when we finished our vegetables. I had a cup of black tea with lunch. We had a small slice of roasted chicken breast and lunch was complete. My step-daughter would describe all this as "MITIN" (more information than I need). Seems everything is abbreviated these days and that’s probably why most Americans don’t cook or prepare meals anymore. Lunch was over by 3:30 p.m. and so we went out for some entertainment. That's another story.
Grazing between lunch and the nightly snack consisted of 2 small oranges-cut into crescents, a handful or two of roasted, unsalted peanuts, a few green and black olives and a few almonds.
About 8 p.m. we have tea and crumpets. They really aren’t crumpets, but, Julie being English, we call it that. Instead, we may have an English muffin made with cranberries or cinnamon and raisins.
After that it’s time to take in a TV show. We watched Alfred Hitchcock’s thriller "Vertigo," a four-star rated movie, starring Kim Novak and James Stewart- made in 1958. I was twenty then and recognized the Chevy Impala. The news was last on the schedule, but we did manage a peak at the end of a two-hour special: WNED's "As Time Goes By."
Of course, I didn’t fill in all the details, but it does fill the bill for the modern day term: "MITIN." No, I didn't count the calories. All the planning was done before we scanned the products we bought. Navel oranges, Italian greens, red onions, garlic, balsamic vinegar, large flakes of oatmeal, extra-virgin olive oil and the ingredients in the English Muffins (low in sugar, no "high-fructose corn syrup) and 100-percent whole wheat were amongst the considerations we used in shopping, along with price comparison.
So as Edward R. Murrow would say, "Good Night and Good Luck."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home