Healthy Eating

Nov 23, 2010

The Creator’s Food Pharmacy For Healing

The Creator’s Food Pharmacy For Healing
The best of all pharmacists is our Creator. He uses the sun and combines the vitamins, herbs and minerals in the plants, fish, fruits and vegetables we eat. The biochemists try to replicate His work, but the body doesn’t understand the language of the MAGIC PILL. My book, “Make Eating A Lifestyle Change,” was encouraged by my rheumatologist, Ralph Argen, M.D., F.A.C.P. He was impressed with the results of my using herbs, vitamins, minerals - what they could do for you and what foods to eat to get the benefits.
He was so impressed, he convinced a man who was mainly an editorialist to dig in and begin the book in 2003. It turned out that he had other motives for the book than just documenting my eating regimen. His daughter had an eating disorder and so he had an ulterior motive. That turned out to be fine, because it was in keeping with my regimen of good food and exercise to keep the body fortified against disease. This blog was the idea of my computer repairman. He introduced me to the vehicle and helped me on my way. So you see, there are no accidents in life - just people who come along and plant a seed that grows into fruition and the results have been marvelous. My wife lost 60 pounds in one year and was crowned queen in front of 2500 people from her T.O.P.S. Chapter 50 and has continue to maintain a healthy weight for more than 6 years.
She developed Osteoarthritis and I was fighting Rheumatoid arthritis. Some doctors tell me that I am the expert on this disease because of the results of my research and clinical approach involving exercise in badminton, tennis, swimming, biking, walking, cooking and accessing the best sources of nutritional and medical research for my blogs.
My mother was Sicilian and my father was born in Warsaw, Poland. Between the two, I was lucky to have the best genes of two great ethnic groups. My father loved fish and grew his own garden of fresh fruits and vegetables, while my mother canned fresh fruit for the winter season and fed me the best salads with olives, red onions, tomato, dandelions and lettuce, celery and even asparagus grown in my father’s garden. Recent studies confirm my belief that these food groups support a healthy immune system and maintain strong muscles and bone mass. How lucky can any man be than to have such a foundation for my development in learning about a regimen to help many of the fine people in my groups: Senior Tennis League, Badminton Club, Healthy Eating and their friendship and support for one another.

UCLA DIVISION OF GERIATRICS, amongst many research centers, helps me keep abreast of the latest findings in “Anti-Aging” foods.
The Nature of the Diet
“The Mediterranean Diet emphasizes healthy, omega-three fats from fish, monounsaturated fats from olive oil, phytonutrient-rich plant foods, and red wine,” says Susan Bowerman, MS, RD, assistant director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition. She says, “I think the Mediterranean food pyramid has some advantages over the USDA pyramid, particularly with its emphasis on fish and olive oil. The good reputation of the diet may be due in part to exercise, an integral part of life in the region. “Diet, lifestyle, and genetics are all determinants of health and longevity,” says Bowerman.
For over 30 years I have had the opportunity to guide and facilitate a lifestyle of fun-loving sport enthusiasts. These people are healthy of mind, body and spirit and I love each and every one of them.
The good news is that more doctors are leaning towards this approach to a healthy body. My physician friends are impressed with the knowledge I have accumulated regarding the benefits of certain foods. A few months ago my physician tested me by asking the benefits of fresh pineapple as it related to arthritis. When I answered, “Bromelain and Papain as they help the body reduce swelling and inflammation,” he complimented me and I could see that he was already suffering the effects of severe joint pain and arthritis. He is very open-minded and likes the stated research sources I include in my articles. This is a wonderful physician and a good listener as well as being able to analyze a problem and then suggest a strategy for dealing with the problem. An old fashioned approach, for sure, but still very much needed by his patients.
The food you eat can provide cancer-preventative qualities, especially if they are rich in the vibrant colors found naturally in an abundance of plant foods such as vegetables, fruits, legumes, nuts, whole grains, and the fresh water fish my father liked most: Sardines, herring, Pacific Sockeye Salmon and Mackerel.
The cancer-busting superstars these days are phytochemicals, plant compounds that exhibit strong antioxidant activities. A diet rich in a variety of plant foods can provide 25,000 different phytochemicals. Antioxidants help stabilize free radicals that are implicated in a number of diseases, including cancer. Researchers recently completed a table listing antioxidant contents of foods and concluded that cranberries, blueberries, and blackberries ranked highest in antioxidant capacity for fruits; beans and russet potatoes were at the top of the list for vegetables; pecans, walnuts, and hazelnuts were highest in the nut category; and cloves, cinnamon, and oregano were at the top of three spices.
Ironically, these are all used in my kitchen, in the breakfast cereal with blueberries, apples, raisins and cinnamon; in my soups and chili, I use the cloves, oregano, onion and garlic.
Researchers suggest that there would be at least a 60-70 percent decrease in breast, colorectal, and prostate cancers if people followed a cancer-preventative diet.
“Certainly fruits and vegetables show promise in reducing cancer risk,” says Susan Bowerman, MS, RD, assistant director of the UCLA Center for Human Nutrition. “This has been shown in many, many studies. We believe some of the protective effects are not only from the vitamins and minerals, and fiber, but from the multitude of nutrients that plants contain. Many of these phytonutrients give fruits and vegetables their intense colors.”
So you see, it isn’t simple, but it did exist in my grandmother’s generation when being poor meant that they picked mustard greens, dandelion, rhubarb and grew their own fruits without preservatives. They milked the goat and raised free-range chickens and the beagles helped my uncles hunt the rabbit and deer in a time when refrigerators and ice boxes didn’t exist. We shouldn’t really try to outsmart mother nature. Some things are best left to God.
And so I sign off once again saying, “God bless all you dear hearts and gentle people who join me in the world of naturopathic resolutions to the problems of aging and the diseases we fight from time to time. Yes, genes are important, but they won’t protect you when you put yourself in harm’s way - like running in front of a speeding truck like the pandemic of diseases that race through our current existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home