Healthy Eating

Aug 21, 2011

Massage Therapy-Lower Back Pain

Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis for more than 30 years is no picnic. Many people do not know the difference between Rheumatoid and Osteo-Arthritis. The RA factor in your genes is identifiable in blood testing. Rheumatoid is usually triggered by stress factors and may or may not kick in - depending on your lifestyle and the amount of stress you are exposed to. The pain in the muscles and joints is symmetrical, unlike Osteoarthritis.
The regimen of treatment, most successful - for me has been a combination of pain pills, and a food regimen recognizing the friendly foods from those which exacerbate the problem, and massage therapy. As a young high school teacher, I was exposed to the era of civil rights battles and the integration forced upon inner-city schools. The experience of facing students with guns, knives, cocaine, heroin and multiple activities of violence was detrimental to my health. I was not willing to give up my position simply to avoid the stress and so I tried staying on to no avail. The result was deterioration of the heart, joints and muscles and the RA factor kicked in. It became a necessity that I leave teaching to avoid the life-threatening conditions that could end my life at 43-years-old. Treatment for my condition was a matter of multiple modalities. In my research, I found that mind, body and spirit were factors needing serious consideration. Psychiatry - to deal with the depression of living with 24/7 pain; a rheumatologist to address the deterioration of muscles and joints; even shots of cortisone to bring down inflammation and help alleviate the pain. I took courses offered by the Arthritis Foundation and researched supposed cures.
Early in my search for ways to combat the pain, I found the simplest but most effective pain-killer was that derived from the Willow-Bark tree: Aspirin. However, there was the possibility of bleeding in the stomach and that led me to an ultra-thin coated aspirin which protected the stomach while getting into the blood stream. I discussed this with my rheumatologist and we decided to monitor the effectiveness versus the risks. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. The aspirin thinned out the blood, while acting as an anti-inflammatory on the muscles and joints. It also was beneficial to the heart muscle as researched and affirmed in 1983. In 2003, my doctor announced that they knew why I hadn’t had another heart attack - Aspirin!
At 245 lbs., I decided to take three ultra-thin coated aspirin at a strength of .325mg. That would total out at close to 1,000mg of Aspirin in a 24 hour period. It was helpful and allowed me to remain functional for most of my daily routine of bathing, walking, eating and driving. However, it did not deal with the tightening of muscles and joints that brought on serious muscle cramps which would feel like a heart attack in my calves and upper thighs. I could see the change taking place in my muscles and suffered a few serious falls as the result of an unstable muscle-support.
AND NOW, BACK TO "MASSAGE THERAPY"
Lower back pain is often very severe in both types of arthritis and can be debilitating. I remembered the movies of athletes using massage therapy to loosen those tight muscles and allow more flexibility in going about everyday tasks. Exploring the use of massage therapy was new ground for me and I hesitated to use this therapy because of old- fashioned sensitivities to someone working on my naked body. It was time to bite the bullet and step forward into the realm of alternative therapies.
Getting a good massage for a particular problem is not an easy task. Many Licensed Massage Therapists go through the motions without sensing the needs of a particular client. After experiencing many incapable massage therapists, I searched the internet for someone who could work on the problems of stress-related muscle aches and pains. I was lucky to find one within 5 minutes of my home who had a background in being a registered nurse. She also was capable in the field of dealing with insurance and doctors. She knew the anatomy of my problem and had a strategy of treatment appropriate to helping me deal with the pain and need for relaxation.
Six years later, I continue to be blessed with her capable massage therapy. And so I thought it appropriate to share this article with her and those in pursuit of a good massage therapist. I do a lot of research and author a blog site called: http://eatinghealthy.blogspot.com . I address problems of the body, mind and spirit using herbs, vitamins, minerals and how they benefit the body in sync with a healthy regimen involving light-weight sports like badminton, tennis, swimming, walking and biking. However, there is the tightening of muscles in all these sports and one should not start such a regimen without a doctor’s advice. My wife is an excellent proof -reader and helps with editing these articles. That was also a stroke of luck. She loves to read and will circle and highlight articles of interest to motivate me into sharing information with my readers. The latest article is in Buffalo Healthy Living, August 2011. I am writing this on Sunday - August 21, 2011.
We are very fortunate to live in a time when the benefits of integrative medicine are recognized. Such an organization is the NCCAM or the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Their study - trial enrolled just over 400 Group Health patients who had lower back pain with no identified cause for at least 3-months. The finding of this trial was that massage therapy helped reduce pain and improve function more rapidly than usual medical care in people with chronic low-back pain, according to researchers at Group Health Research Institute and the University of Washington in Seattle, the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, and the University of Vermont in Burlington. The purpose of the NCCAM funded trial published in the Annals of Internal Medicine—was to compare the short-term effects of structural massage, relaxation massage, and the usual care for people with chronic low-back pain.
Back pain is an important health problem that affects millions of Americans and is the most common medical condition for which people use complementary and alternative medicine practices, such as massage therapy.
Significantly greater improvements in disability and bothersomeness of symptoms were seen at 10 weeks in both massage groups compared to those who received usual care. For example, at 10 weeks, massage recipients were better able to perform daily activities, were more active, spent fewer days in bed, and used less anti-inflammatory medication than those received usual care.
The study provides additional evidence that massage therapy can be a helpful adjunct in treating chronic low-back pain. The body is not to be treated like a flat tire on a car. There is no one fix for all problems and time, wear and tear and stress can lead to a need to follow a routine of a healthy lifestyle, nutritional food, avoidance of high sugar and sodium and respect for natural foods rather than supplements to feed the dietary needs of our bodies. Pain cannot be ignored and the importance of mobility in the health care needs of our country must be addressed using research and finding the most effective means to keep young and old in the game.
Stan Kent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home